Sports Injury Treatment in Seaford & Millsboro
Sports Injury Specialists in Delaware
Foot and ankle sports injuries are some of the most common problems we treat at Southern Delaware Foot & Ankle. Sports injuries could either be acute, due to a single event, or chronic which happen over time. Since 2000, our experienced team has provided top-notch sports injury treatment for patients in Seaford & Millsboro, DE. We focus on innovative techniques that allow you to get back to your active lifestyle as quickly as possible. From minor sprains to significant breaks and tears, we’ll find the best sports injury treatment to meet your needs.
Types of Sports Injuries We Treat
Some of the most common sports injuries we treat include:
- Excessive Training Injuries – Overuse can cause tendonitis, stress fractures, heel pain, sesamoiditis, and more. Excessive or improper training can cause inflammation or tearing of tendons often leads to pain, swelling, and missed training time.
- Fractures – Foot and ankle fractures are common in sports, so we will perform an examination and any necessary imaging (xrays, CT scan) to find the best treatment for your break.
- Strains or Sprains – The most common type of ankle sprains are inversion ankle sprains. These ankle sprains can cause severe pain, swelling, and bruising. If left untreated, they could lead to chronic issues. Lisfranc ligament (midfoot) sprains of the foot are also common and can be caused by either twisting the foot or a direct blow to the foot.
- Collision Injury – Many sports injuries occur from a sudden force or impact. Collisions often force your feet into abnormal positions which could lead to a combination of: sprains, fractures, or dislocations.
What to Do If You Suffer A Sports Injury
Whether you have an specific injury/accident or notice pain in your lower extremities isn’t going away, it’s important to contact us for treatment. If you don’t address a foot or ankle injury as soon as possible, you risk worsening the injury. Stop your activity when you feel pain beyond the standard ache of overworked muscles. The recovery process for a sports injury is critical to how fast you can return to everyday activities with full strength. If you don’t heal properly, you risk further instability, pain, and a higher risk for injury in the future.
Conservative Sports Injury Therapy
We always treat with non-invasive conservative treatment for sports before surgical treatment. Our most common conservative sports injury therapy includes:
- Customized footwear
- Rest and ice
- Exercises and stretching
- Physical Therapy
- Medication (Oral and Topical)
- Soft tissue injections
In severe cases, your sports injury may be unresponsive to conservative treatments. In these cases, we will discuss surgical options.
Your Premier Delaware Sports Injury Treatment Choice
Our team of podiatrists has a wide range of experience treating many different foot and ankle issues. We’re extensively trained and knowledgeable about treatment for sports injuries and other foot and ankle problems. We strive to offer compassionate care and extensive surgical options backed by evidence-based medicine. We understand sports injuries can be scary and threaten your future physical activity levels, so we tailor our approach to each specific injury and patient. We’ll discuss your best forms of treatment that allow you to get back to an active lifestyle as soon as possible.
Contact Us Today for Sports Injury Treatment
Our Southern Delaware Foot & Ankle physicians are here for you after your painful sports injuries. We’ll work hard to find the best treatment and get you back to activity and sport as soon as possible! Contact us today to schedule an appointment.